You are not logged in.

Friday, April 5th 2013, 8:35pm

controversial ads?

I went non premium for a day and noticed an ad that had said "mom is going to die" and redirected here : ++++++++++++

I am not sure this is appropriate to be displayed on a game site that houses minors. While the mods uphold the sb language because of minor participation, these ads i do not believe are appropriate either. As i play on my phone i cannot take a screenshot.

As a webmaster i know ads normally derive their info based on the webpage itself, but being a gaming website it would be more prudent to display game related ads, whether "competition" or not rather then ads based on domestic violence or drug addictions

Friday, April 5th 2013, 8:50pm

The text ads are not much better, seems that same website likes to display ads about defeating smex addition X(

If the smex word is censored here, it sure as hell should not be promoted in game.

Again i know ads are supposed to generate revenue ( tho most people have ad blockers making ads obsolete ) but they should be changed to something far more relevant and appropriate.

itsjustme

Professional

Friday, April 5th 2013, 9:23pm

I made the same point to them and they said ads are chosen by your browsing history so I promptly shut up 8o
Just here to spread hate and discontent

OK, moving on now...

Friday, April 5th 2013, 9:54pm

Yah, not. I can assure people that i do not browse drug rehabs, domestic violence site or anything of that nature. I play holywar, browse facebook and nfl.com.

Ads read the page that is displayed and generates ads that way, on most occasions when websites do not specify parameters.

itsjustme

Professional

Friday, April 5th 2013, 11:20pm

Was just having fun, though they did say that, and GoogleAds does use cookies in your browsing history to do the ads, if you subscribe to that service anyways they will then. They have various tiers as I'm sure you know.
They have lots of "other games" advertised, that when I ask about am told that I can't mention
They have lots of "not so family friendly" ads that when I ask about I get a warning

I've just given up and am content to stir the pot when I see an opportunity

OK, moving on now...

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 2:10am

Well i will wait to see what support says, there are some that shouldnt be in game and i can guarantee that its not my cookies/cache/history that creates drug and domestic violence ads.

itsjustme

Professional

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 1:48pm

I hope you reported it ingame or through email because here it likely won't get addressed.

OK, moving on now...

Saturday, April 6th 2013, 3:27pm

Just did that and went to adsense themselves. What i see is they can use their cookie to see what site u visit within their network, but not all sites you visit.

I sent an inquiry to them as well.

I am wondering how much revenue they make from ads anyway, as most are ppc, and not impression based, and with ad block addons, makes ads not even appear, thus eliminating either revenue.

If ads were to be shown, perhaps GAS can just place their own game banners or find an ad service that only deals with game ads

Monday, April 8th 2013, 5:00pm

I am not sure this is appropriate to be displayed on a game site that houses minors.
Then why the heck are you bringing it to more people's attention and even link us to it in a public part of the forum, if you aren't sure?

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, April 8th 2013, 5:04pm

Hello,

I have deleted the link and the post displaying the banner. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

In the future, please send the adverts you believe aren't appropriate towards the support ingame. We are not choosing them, but we may be able to block certain inappropriate ones.

Regards,

CApeX

Monday, April 8th 2013, 6:44pm

Thank you and no prob on removal of content. I posted them just in case you needed a screenshot of some sort.

I had messaged ingame support, but purchased account yesterday and could not access support via sitting tool.

itsjustme

Professional

Saturday, April 13th 2013, 3:26pm

Interesting...when I reported this issue I was told too bad so sad, G@S doesn't control what advertisers advertise...

OK, moving on now...

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, April 15th 2013, 12:20pm

And that is true. GAS does not control what is advertised.

Regards,

CApeX

Rate this thread