You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aikra77

Trainee

• "aikra77" started this thread

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 1:47am

Favorite movies

Whats your favorite movie/movies or Tv show/shows? Just wasting time before heading out for Dinner.

Also, I remember watching a movie a few months ago about the Crusades, think it was called Kingdom of Heaven. Does anyone know of any movies similar to this one?

GulFalco

Unregistered

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 3:14am

i really liked 'Kingdom of Heaven'
but i think all players must see

also i really like the 'Excalibur' from 1981
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_%28film%29
& because i am a dork, the musical 'Camelot' :D

aikra77

Trainee

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 8:18am

I saw that on tv a long long time ago, think I was 9yrs old. Rutger Hauer is a pretty decent action star, remember him from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" movie but they also had Pee Wee Herman too..lol

I loved Excalibur, did you see that "Mists of Avalon" mini-series a few years back? That was ok too

pandapower1

Beginner

Saturday, January 19th 2008, 5:45pm

hmmm.....best film ever has to be Napolean Dynamite! its just so unreal! :thumbup:

aikra77

Trainee

Monday, January 21st 2008, 6:51am

Oh dude, Its been a while since I saw that movie. I think I've seen it like 5 times, I used to like to talk like him to this co-worker that reminds me of Napoleon's mom. She's in her early 60s and talks about her adventures of riding motorcycles and being chased by police when she was a teenager. She never saw the movie till she asked why I was making up stuff about my Ninja Skills, then she rented it.

Monday, January 21st 2008, 12:49pm

There are also a million or so BBC films and miniseries about Richard the Lion-Hearted (a billion if you count Robin Hood and Ivanhoe adaptations) and others from his era. You can usually guess which ones are worth watching by looking at the cast.

And then there's the First Doctor serial "The Crusade," which actually fits this game very well. Julian Glover's Richard and John Bay's Earl of Leincester would fit in perfectly with the game's Shoutbox, from their thin-skinned volatility to their mistaking Vicki for a boy....

But the best, and certainly most realistic, historical treatment of the Middle Ages is the first season of Blackadder. Why this game doesn't have fruit knives for sale at the blacksmith is beyond me. (Or maybe you have to get to level 50 or so; I think Brian Blessed could beat up my 19th-level character in his sleep....)
Top accounts for sale: HW1 TG1 AI1
Already sold: HW2/3/4 TG1DE

Sage of the Six Paths

Unregistered

Monday, January 21st 2008, 3:47pm

One of my favorite movies are the harry Potter movies and V for Vendetta. My favorite TV shows now are probably naruto and bleach.

aikra77

Trainee

Monday, January 21st 2008, 4:18pm

I just watched Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix last night, twice. Twice since the first time when company was over that there was alot of "Major Interruptous" with the 3yr old kid
that kept attacking me with his temper tantrums and whining about not being able to go outside. Silly Infants, -1 degrees with -11 windchill are for Eskimos. We rented that movie and Bourne Ultimatum,
which I cant wait to watch. Infact....later!

GulFalco

Unregistered

Monday, January 21st 2008, 7:34pm

hey Falcotron, maybe now that you are play this game
maybe you can make it through a viewing of Kingdom of Heaven 8)

Saturday, January 26th 2008, 11:24am

southpark :P

Saturday, January 26th 2008, 1:49pm

also the godfather one and 300 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sunday, January 27th 2008, 12:58pm

Godfather 3 was bad enough; I don't need to see Godfather 300....

aikra77

Trainee

Sunday, January 27th 2008, 10:51pm

Yeah that would be 99 Trilogies to follow, already seen 1-3, so 297 more movies. yikes!

Mystic

Beginner

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 4:32am

I love pirates and yes captain Jack Sparrow. I think Cutthroat Island is good. I love the cannon sound affects in surround sound. I love the anime sinbad. Brad Pitt played him. I think Treasure Planet too in anime is good. This is only a few. If you have kids muppets version of treasure island is cute. I am into pirates stuff a lot. I love action adventure. hehe! :thumbsup:

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 6:21am

Who doesn't love pirates? But still, the best Muppets movie ever, by far, is the original Muppet Movie. If it weren't for that movie, I'd never be able to remember which side the sun rises on, but all I have to do is close my eyes, and I hear, "Movin' right along. You take it, you know best. Hey, I've never seen the sun come up in the west."

The only thing Muppet-related that can compare is when they sang "School's Out" with Alice Cooper. (And people wonder what's wrong with my generation... Between that, and the Sid & Marty Kroft shows that taught us that the only way to be safe from scary girls who want to steal your magic flute was to hide alone with a giant spliff, I'm surprised anyone born from 1966-1974 ever graduated high school.)

Thursday, February 21st 2008, 7:00am

Yah. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie was also like the best movie ever. Especially at the end of the movie when he plays the I'm a Goofy Goober! song.
That solo he plays, I can play in real life.
Spongebob is real funny :D
He makes me laugh my guts out also, just to let u know!!!1 :P

aikra77

Trainee

Thursday, March 6th 2008, 5:00am

In Kindergarten, towards our Graduation upon starting grade school the following year, we had a Kindergarten Round-up. That was basically a talent-show of sorts, showing off all we did in class and towards the end we had to tell people on a stage what we wanted to be when we grew up. I told everyone I wanted to be a pirate or a Jedi, so far I havent had the guts to steal from others or developed any force abilities other than getting a awful feeling whenever my wife drives.

I re-saw "The Last Samurai" earlier today, and now planning on watching Star Wars Trilogy and then Pirates of the Caribbean .
Interesting enough, I found this pic..they said it was for the 3rd Pirates movie back when it was developed. Guess they ditched it
or perhaps its for the 4th movie. If they still are planning on doing more movies... :D

sephraem

Beginner

Wednesday, March 12th 2008, 4:35pm

I was always a fan of the James Bond films... though some were questionable... :thumbup:
Groin + Cream + the crazies on World 3 = Great Laughs had by all

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 8:03am

Movies that go well with HW

Greeting all!

No particular order

1. 300

2. The 300 Spartans- which inspired the writer of 300

3. Zulu

4. Star Wars

5. Ivanhoe- Elizabeth Taylor Version. A lot of people dont like this movie- I have always enjoyed it.

6. The Adventures of Robin Hood-Errol Flynn version

7. The Naked Prey

8. West Side Story- for the musical lovers

9. High Noon

10. Rollerball 1970s version People think they are yelling Jonathon at the end of the movie...but really its Falcotron Falcotron Falcotron :-)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Bigger Phil" (Aug 12th 2008, 5:30pm)

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 5:06pm

I told everyone I wanted to be a pirate or a Jedi, so far I havent had the guts to steal from others or developed any force abilities other than getting a awful feeling whenever my wife drives.
I can relate - I always wanted to be either a Jedi or Bugs Bunny (you ever see anyone pull one over on him?).

For me (also in no particular order):

3. The Matrix
4. Aliens
5. In the Mouth of Madness
6. Prince of Darkness
7. Raiders of the Lost Ark
8. Jerry Maguire
9. The Fisher King
10. 12 Monkeys
11. The Godfather (I & II)
12. The entire Lord of the Rings series (Peter Jackson)
13. Excalibur (John Boorman's 1981 version)
14. A Few Good Men

<rant>
Would have liked The Last Samurai a LOT more if they could have taken Tom Cruise out; the story is very loosely based on real events, and there was no American Civil War vet involved. In fact, it really hacked me off that they can't make a movie without pandering to the American public and the "lowest common denominator." What, nobody's interested in the Satsuma rebellion, so let's stick an American actor in here to make it appeal to everyone?

Sorry...</rant>

Overall, though...

I was 9 years old in May of 1977, when Star Wars (the first one) originally came out. Three words: Life Altering Event. I never looked at the world the same again.

In May of 1980, at the age of 12, I spent eight hours in line with my mom (God bless her; she loved her boy dearly and spoiled me rotten) to get tickets for the next day to see The Empire Strikes Back. I wouldn't call ESB a life altering event as I'd already been forever changed, but it definitely was just as impacting as Star Wars.

It's not really something I've ever been able to communicate to anyone not from that generation who didn't go through the same thing, but no movie before or since even came close, and to say it was a cultural phenomenon is an understatement. In my mind, Star Trek & 2001 aside, there was no such genre as "science fiction" before Star Wars. It forever changed the way the world looked at things.

So yeah, #1 and #2 would be Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back (with ESB as more "fun," but SW being more "groundbreaking").

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 5:29pm

Concur

12. The entire Lord of the Rings series (Peter Jackson)
13. Excalibur (John Boorman's 1981 version)

Also Great choices !

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 7:07pm

Some fantastic movies already listed. Definately TLOTR series, as well as the HP series, anything Spongebob and everything Adam Sandler. Some other favorites for me are:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail... (Bring me a shrubbery!)
Braveheart
The Green Mile
Where the Heart is ... (If you haven't seen this I highly suggest it. A romantic one so beware all you tough guys. :P )
The old horror movies... (Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.)
Star Wars.... All of them.
And last but not least... Batman. All but the ones in the middle that had George Clooney and Val Kilmer. Uck.
I may live in my own little world, but that's okay... they know me here.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 9:58pm

Well... Duh! How in the world did I forget this one, considering my avatar... "The Black Knight always triumphs!"
Braveheart
The Green Mile
Yep, would agree there. Whatever you might think of his personal views, Mel Gibson is a darn good actor. And The Green Mile was about the only Stephen King movie ever made that was actually a semi-decent movie (although The Stand wasn't bad).
And last but not least... Batman. All but the ones in the middle that had George Clooney and Val Kilmer. Uck.
<shudder>

I'll agree to disagree with you on that one. Now the new Batman series - Batman Begins & The Dark Knight... very cool. I think the campy Batman I grew up with (bifff, pow, zapp!) was just so horrible that when they announced Tim Burton as the director, my flesh crawled. And then Michael Keaton? Made me throw up. And Danny Elfman? Of all the various superheroes out there, Batman always seemed the coolest to me because he wasn't some pampered homoerotic yutz in dayglo colors (Superman, anyone?) who had his powers handed to him on a silver platter. Instead, he was a dark, disturbed individual who was absolutely driven and worked his butt off to become the ultimate bada$$. Borderline psychotic, but in a good way (does that even make sense, though?). And the Joker was just psychotic.

To me, the entire Batman movie series before Batman Begins was just... silly. Danny DeVito's Penguin was the only character I remember from any of the first three movies (I didn't watch after that) that was even remotely like what I thought a real Batman villain should be like (especially with biting that guy's nose off; that was classic).

Which reminds me... Dune. The Sci-Fi series - way cool. Dino DeLaurentis? Took the title and the character names and not one thing else (although the chick he picked to play Jessica was uber hot). I think that guy needed to be beaten severely, then tied to a chair with his eyelids taped open and forced to watch Barney the dinosaur for 20 years straight as punishment for that godawful mess. I'd give 10 years to Tim Burton for "Batman."

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 10:15pm

See now I'm a huge Tim Burton fan. I think he does dark in the best way so I was very happy with the first two Batman movies. But then again, I loved Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow ... Just about anything involved with Tim Burton and Danny Elfman. But, that's fine... If we all agreed then life just wouldn't be interesting. ;)
I may live in my own little world, but that's okay... they know me here.

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Tuesday, August 12th 2008, 11:05pm

D'oh! That reminds me. Tim Burton is actually one of my favorite directors/producers, to be completely honest, and I missed a whole slew of other favorites:

The Corpse Bride
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Sleepy Hollow
Ed Wood
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I never did see Edward Scissorhands, though I'd don't really know why not as it definitely looks like a movie I'd like.

But... as much as I like him (along with Johnny Depp and Michael Keaton), he just didn't fit my vision of Batman. To put it another way, I always joke about how much I'd like to have seen Arnold Swarzenegger or Jet Li as Doctor Who as I think it'd be very funny to see Ah-nold beat the criznap out of The Master, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Erganos

Unregistered

Monday, August 18th 2008, 5:09pm

Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi (Episodes Ib-VI).

There are many others I really love, but those are the ultimate.

Star Wars Episodes 1-3 are great but not as good, partly due to overuse of CGI, which I despise in movies.

Julius

Trainee

Monday, August 18th 2008, 5:16pm

The Adventures of Robin Hood from 1938 starring Errol Flynn

Also Gone With the Wind is a great movie

If you have not seen either, I suggest you do
Quite possibly insane

The Black Knight

Unregistered

Monday, August 18th 2008, 5:20pm

The Adventures of Robin Hood from 1938 starring Errol Flynn

I liked Captain Blood better, but Robin Hood was definitely good.

Insofar as the older movies go, you have to include The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca, although I thought Casablanca wasn't so much a great "movie," but more a great play that just happened to be a movie. Kinda hard to explain why, but Casablanca really had a theater-esque "feel" to it for me, and really didn't seem to fit well on celluloid.

Oh, and two not-so-old but definitely not new movies; The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers, from 1972-ish. Michael York in his prime, Oliver Reed, Faye Dunaway, Richard Chamberlain, Christopher Lee, Charlton Heston... what's not to love? The fight scene between Michael York's D'Artagnan and Christopher Lee's Rochefort was absolutely classic; and wasn't really a "fight scene" so much as D'Artagnan's sudden decision to murder Rochefort.

Definitely not true to the book, but then I actually liked the movies better (and I absolutely refuse to see the Disney version).

Sunday, August 24th 2008, 5:05am

Pearl Harbor
Equilibrium
Lord of the Flies
The New Guy
Superbad
Hot Rod

BlackWolfe

Beginner

Tuesday, December 2nd 2008, 11:47pm

I am a big fan of WWII movies like Battle of the Bulge, but I do like many other genre of movies from Sci-Fi to Anime. My favourite TV shows in order are: Doctor Who, Band of Brother, Naturo, Bleach and Chuck.

Ginnevra

Beginner

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 1:59am

So, yeah, there's the one part in the movie where the monks are walking along, sounding kinda Gregorian, then they *BONK* themselves in the head with the tomes they're carrying. I don't know why but I can't stop laughing every single time I see that part of the movie. After the first time I saw it, my friends would call me up at the office that I worked at and just yell *BONK* at me and then hang up and I had to try VERY hard to control myself. Good times! :D

Hands down, though, my favourite movie was the Matrix. I enjoyed all of them to some degree but the first one had the most major impact. It's the only movie that I ever came out of the theater pinching myself, wondering if I was just a pigment in someone else's imagination.

The other movie that I really like is Bone Daddy with Rutger Hauer. Let's face it. Rutger is not always cast in the best leading roles and, admittedly, there is some space for improvement in this movie. However, it's not the acting that makes or breaks this film. It's the realness of it. The fact that it could really happen. There's no sudden saving of the lead actor, there's no saving grace, there's no heroes. It's raw, gritty and very chewy as a film, just the way it should be. :)
Mulver Unterschrift hat mich ein √úbersetzer finden.

erialc

Intermediate

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 2:44am

Off the top of my head I really enjoyed Babette's Feast, Sophie's Choice, The Devils of Louden and any Monty Python film. As for TV I love the British series Bad Girls, any Masterpiece Theatre (Drama or Mystery), Sopranos, Seinfeld, Curb You Enthusiasm, The Wire :)
W2 contrarian (non-premium) ~ W3 contra (non-premium)~ W4 contra aka erialc (non-premium) ~ W5 Yasmine - Sold ~ W6 contrarian (OM) Dragon Warriors ~ W8 Holy PIA (non-premium) (OM) Because We Can

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 5:27am

WWII Movie trivia question

Here goes! here be the clues:

Considered by many the best WWII movie of all time

Only two people killed on screen

Love story

movie would probably be considered a chick flick now

A famous song and a famous musical moment----- the first clue above will elimnate your first thought on this clue

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 7:56am

Let's face it. Rutger is not always cast in the best leading roles...
Yeah, people usually think of his as a better antagonist (Blade Runner, Buffy) than leading man. But early in his career, he did some great work--mostly with Paul Verhoeven, but not entirely. Soldier of Orange, Flesh+Blood, The Osterman Weekend--Rutger can be a leading man. (His problem is that he plays bad guys even better.)

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 8:03am

RE: WWII Movie trivia question

Love story

A famous song and a famous musical moment----- the first clue above will elimnate your first thought on this clue
You played it for her, you can play it for me.

DemiGod Subarna

Professional

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 12:04pm

RE: WWII Movie trivia question

Love story

Pearl Harbor :?:
Subarna the Divine Warrior ,Ex-OM of PACT The Berserkers in World 5
Yudhishtir - Joined W6 on the 23rd of October
"Go with the Flow!!!"

CPT Al

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 1:08pm

Naked Prey
Zulu
Kelly's Heroes
Cross of Iron
The Hill
A Walk in the Sun
Bringing Up Baby
Harvey
Our Mutual Friend
Holiday Inn

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 1:41pm

WW II Trvia Update

No surprise--- falco has figured out the movie...he just has not stated what it is.

Rewriting last clue-

should read

A famous song and a famous musical moment----- but movie is not considered a musical

Janet H

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 1:53pm

To Kill a Mockingbird
An American President
The Sun Also Rises
East of Eden
Sleepless in Seattle
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Speed
Gettysburg

I think the last line in Phil's movie is: "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." 8)

biggles1978

Beginner

Wednesday, December 3rd 2008, 6:05pm

films

the blues brothers

the jurk

blazing saddles