You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 11:52pm

And anyway I said "SHOULD HAVE MADE IT"

Stainless Steel Rat would make excellent movie viewing. Its a futuristic James Bond with a twist.

Space Hospital could make good drama film.
i7 3770k @ 3.7GHz - Asus P8Z77-V Premium - Corsair Hydro H100i - 16Gb DDR3-1600 7-8-8-24 RAM - Gigabyte 780ti Windforce OC + EVGA 660 FTW ACX - 250GB Samsung 840 Evo sata-3 SSD - 2 x 3Tb Seagate Barracuda sata-3 HDD RAID-1 - 1TB Seagate Barracuda storage HDD - CM HAF 932 - CM TRIGGER 'brown' mechanical keyboard - CM Recon mechanical mouse - BenQ XL2411T 24

Friday, December 30th 2011, 6:46am

So basically the only "good" science fiction for you is stuff that actually HAS films, TV shows etc. That is a very narrow viewpoint on what makes good sci-fi.

That is actually a remarkably good point that I never considered. But then again, I would probably say that it's such a huge subject that it deserves a post all on its own, and I'd almost suggest that it more appropriately center around the top five science fiction authors of all time, not necessarily "franchises," per se. Jules Verne had a phenomenal impact, but I can't think of any of his stories that would be considered a "franchise," since I don't think he wrote any sequels (but I could easily be wrong). Mary Shelley's Frankenstein had a tremendous impact as well, and that was one book. Isaac Asimov pretty defined the robot genre. H.G. Wells introduced us (well, at least me) to time travel and alien invasion, and there were a host of others that I remember reading (and highly enjoying) before Star Wars ever came out; A.E. Van Vogt, Philip K D ick (that really is his name, btw; it's not meant as profanity), Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, etc.

Too big to qualify as a response to this post, in other words (at least in my opinion).

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Friday, December 30th 2011, 12:23pm

So basically the only "good" science fiction for you is stuff that actually HAS films, TV shows etc. That is a very narrow viewpoint on what makes good sci-fi.

SSQ- The thread was titled Top 5 Sci-Fi franchises. Not best sci-fi authors,books,sound effects or single movie. Those are topics for a different thread, I wrote out the criteria for all to see for this thread. Confused by confusion :wacko:

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 6:09pm

I think one that could challenge in the years to come will be Dragon Ball Z. The generation that is in late teens and early 20s.....alot of them watch that stuff all the time. Already one movie, that was average.

fatrobin

Intermediate

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 9:08pm

1 live action movie for dragonball franchise... 17 animated films :P

dragonball (and dragonball z) were both made before i was born/old enough to watch it... thankfully it was dubbed and aired in the UK mostly during the time we had cartoon network... dragonball GT is ok... up to a point where it gets weird... well weirder...

but yeah i watched that mainly when i was a kid... although i finished watching the episodes i missed when i was at uni :S

but with dragonball z being remastered and re-aired as "dragonball z kai" i can see why younger kids might be watching it

the movie was a little disappointing... but it does have an MMORPG... if you live in korea, taiwan or hong kong... hell it has not even reached japan the country where dragonball anime was made :P
Campaigner for Zombie Rights

Not a Professional cow... just consistently lazy

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 7:56pm

Number 1 sci-fi movie EVER!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: made was Blade Runner.... debate over :D :D :D :D :D

Cptn Apex can now close this thread :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bigger Phil

Unregistered

Sunday, January 15th 2012, 11:55pm

again---thread is called Top 5 Franchises. Bops Gnome on the head

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 7:57pm

doh!!!!

Well if it had been a franchise it would have won hands down :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

fatrobin

Intermediate

Tuesday, January 17th 2012, 10:47pm

as discussed in the international world... the UKs best efforts Red Dwarf... made back in the day when the BBC could make things... admittabdly with a budget of 2 shillings and a half pence (yes and this was made after decimalization... good old bbc... using the spare change from the sofa they were about to throw away to make 6 great and 2 ok comedy sci-fi series (the 2 ok ones came when the bbc put money into things... damn mid to late 90s))
Campaigner for Zombie Rights

Not a Professional cow... just consistently lazy