You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, December 23rd 2011, 6:00am

My New Year's Resolution

5. Go back to school and finish my education (bachelor's degree, then master's & doctorate). Not sure what subject(s), but leaning toward statistics.

So I heard that Yale University had a version of this, but never really looked overly close at it once I realized they were a bit limited (nothing online when I looked that I was overly interested in at the time). Just looked at MIT's offerings, though, and they're much more diverse. I also never bothered to look at iTunes U until now, but good God all-flippin' mighty, do they have a huge variety of really cool educational resources available for free. Downloading 96 video lectures right now, and I've emailed myself 17 other podcast series to check out. Lots of fascinating stuff here:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

http://oyc.yale.edu/

Those are just the two that I originally heard about (and MIT has some good variety), but I'm guessing that a Google search for "OCW" would net a LOT of information. iTunes U on the iPad lists more universities that I could count, and while I'm sure a lot of it is kinda hit or miss, I found enough in 20 minutes of searching to keep my iPad downloading for the rest of the night, plus probably 150 to 300 more podcasts that I'll want to look at.

Guess I'll see how long I'm interested in viewing all this; it's going to be a contest between that certain Bioware Star Wars-themed MMORPG (where I'm currently a level 24 Jedi Sentinel on the "Mask of Nihilus" server and just starting to really enjoy PvP; search for "Bobgoldstein" if you'd like to join me) and improving myself.

erialc

Intermediate

Friday, December 23rd 2011, 10:47am

When I was applying for graduate schools I looked into Yale, at the time it was only a 30 minute commute. The problem with Yale is that if you take a degree with them you have to go full-time they won't allow part-time or let you work full-time. There reasoning is the coursework is much to rigorous to be doing anything else. Like most people I didn't have the luxury of attending school full-time, I had to work for a living so I opted for a very affordable and flexible SCSU just down the road....I really wanted to go to Yale and see if I could compete academically with the best... Oh well I'll never know. TBK I think it is wonderful that you are pursuing your educational goals! I didn't start my Bachelor Degree until I was 27 and then went to grad school 5 years later, it was the best decision I ever made...Thats the beauty of education you are never to old to start :)
W2 contrarian (non-premium) ~ W3 contra (non-premium)~ W4 contra aka erialc (non-premium) ~ W5 Yasmine - Sold ~ W6 contrarian (OM) Dragon Warriors ~ W8 Holy PIA (non-premium) (OM) Because We Can