You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jim pruitt

Intermediate

• "jim pruitt" started this thread

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 4:06am

staying on waht ever topic is being discussed

I know this post will probably ruffle a feather or two and cause some folks to :cursing:
If so sorry it is not the intention of this post but to state a fact or two.
Several times over and over someone will ask and inteligent question or bring up a topic that has merit and should be dicussed only to have it wander of in so many directions it is next to imposible for anyone to read or even keep up with. I realize we all get frustrated or mad for some reason or another. That is part of human nature. But please try to stay on topic. Personally it royally PO's me and to add insult to injury at times some of you go off on a tangent when a MOD steps in and trys to rectify the situation or get things back on track. sometimes to the point of baiting them. Yes I know over the years there have been some really bad MOD's but for the most part they are taken care of by GAS support and the super MODS. Most of them are only trying to do their job. So that being said would you at least make an attempt to stay on topic.
Oh yeah this is something i have wanted to say for a bit but was not able to as i was a MOD. Since I am not at this time I can say it with out the usual " your on ly saying because you are a MOD garbage"
have a nice day
When Life hands you Lemons grab the Tequila :D
W3-- Ban Hammer Gnome - TC
W5 --Opoton -TUA
W7--_J_--WBS
W9 -- Paladin --KT
IN3 - Ban Hammer Gnome -- IPC
IN4 --Ban Hammer Gnome- SOUL
I am not addicted 8o I swear I ain't :S
MOD -618

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 11:00am

Hello,

this problem is something that you can witness all over the internet. Thread derail is the bread and butter of forum users all over the world, it appears. That's exactly, as you say, one of the reasons why moderators are needed, actually. If we all would behave and managed to stay on topic ourself, there wouldn't even be need for something like a moderator. Apparantly though, there is thread derail. There is baiting, and rudeness, and puzzling communication hiccups. So there is need of order, and that's what a moderator's job description is: To assure that things are running smoothly. Or at least a bit more so than without.

Henceforth, I declare this day to be the inofficial moderator day. All hail the mods! They fight for all of us who can't stay on topic for long.

Like myself. (Since this was about "staying on topic" and not about "moderators".)

Please continue.

CApeX

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 12:22pm

Isn't it a leap year :wacko:
If so, the mods had better appreciate it while it lasts.

Alas, I digress also...

jim pruitt

Intermediate

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 1:00pm

I know it is Cap and I know why MOD's are need. The unintentional is not so bad. It is the to make a point on a different topic and the just to an . . . that is the most aggrivating lol.
unofficial MOD day :thumbsup: 8o and Leap year to boot. Hmmmm must me a leap year thing lol
:evil: Now you two got me doing it :D
W5 --Opoton -TUA
W7--_J_--WBS
W9 -- Paladin --KT
MOD -618

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 3:33pm

:pinch: I only get my day every 4years :thumbdown:
:thumbsup: I SMILE AT YOU SO YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT I'M UP TOO :thumbsup:

BENCH401 W1
BENCH401 W7
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

fatrobin

Intermediate

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 8:17pm

whats that... official bully mods day?

and now for something completely different
Campaigner for Zombie Rights

Not a Professional cow... just consistently lazy

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 9:49pm

I agree Jim :thumbsup: The topics get changed so much you forget what the original post is alot of the time! It's annoying and aggravating to everyone. Always good to keep to the topic :thumbup:
As WC Fields once said, "It was a woman drove me to drink, and I never stopped to thank her.^^
Mod 575

erialc

Intermediate

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 5:11am

I remember when the forum was interesting, active and lively with heated debates, maybe at this point we should be grateful for any kind of post...even the dreaded derailment.....
W2 contrarian (non-premium) ~ W3 contra (non-premium)~ W4 contra aka erialc (non-premium) ~ W5 Yasmine - Sold ~ W6 contrarian (OM) Dragon Warriors ~ W8 Holy PIA (non-premium) (OM) Because We Can

jim pruitt

Intermediate

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 5:24am

this is a sad but true fact.
W5 --Opoton -TUA
W7--_J_--WBS
W9 -- Paladin --KT
MOD -618

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 10:01am

I remember when the forum was interesting, active and lively with heated debates, maybe at this point we should be grateful for any kind of post...even the dreaded derailment.....
That's a bit like regretting that nobody actually goes out for a walk in the park on sundays anymore, but at the same time being grateful that at least there are a couple of hooligans with baseball bats having claimed the park as their turf - and viciously defending it against outsiders -, because the park would be deserted completely, otherwise. There might be a connection, y'know.

Dreaded derailment isn't actually a way to make a forum (or conversations in general) anymore interesting, active or lively. Quite the opposite.

CApeX

Ozzman

Intermediate

• "Ozzman" has been banned

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 1:26pm

I prefer being a hooligan with a baseball bat than a suit and tie guy that steals money,

I"m sure the latter are responsible for the state of forum and hw worlds in general,or hooligans wouldn't be hooligans,they would just stroll through the park instead of defending it against suit and tie guys that steal money
Instead of proposing a penalty, Socrates instead proposes a reward for himself: as benefactor to Athens, he should be given free meals in the Prytaneum, one of the important buildings which housed members of the Council.

And that's why tixxers should pay my premium.

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 2:48pm

No one working with GameArt Studio is wearing a suit or a tie, is stealing any money, or is actively and intentionally working on making this board a miserable place to be. That you are creating an image of an enemy that doesn't exist and believe you need to defend a property that isn't yours to begin with against those who actually set it into place is a mindset you have all the rights in the world to follow, of course, it's just as inaccurate as it can be when it comes to the actual problem I was attempting to point out.

Off-topic discussions are not a problem unique to the Holy War forum, so the enemy you are attempting to create here is not part of the actual issue, Ozzman. One actual problem behind thread-derailing lies in the lack of interest in the topic at hand, the assumed insignificance of other people's opinion or social niceties and the imagined importance of one's own agendas. A place that has a significant amount of people thinking that way will appal those actually interested in functionable communication and ends up being a place where everyone wants attention, but nobody left is actually willing to grant it.

This forum is a place to discuss things. Communication is the only tool available here. If people actively start to work against a functionable communication, it's directly working against the idea behind a forum to begin with. Regretting that there is no communication, but at the same time being grateful for those people intentionally attempting to make any sort of decent communication an impossible task by monopolizing all communication and adjusting it to their own private agendas is henceforth not making very much sense. And that is all I wanted to point out.

CApeX

Ozzman

Intermediate

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 9:13pm

That you are creating an image of an enemy that doesn't exist and believe you need to defend a property that isn't yours to begin with against those who actually set it into place is a mindset you have all the rights in the world to follow, of course, it's just as inaccurate as it can be when it comes to the actual problem I was attempting to point out.

that is your opinion,the fact that you are admin doesn't give you right,because

Off-topic discussions are not a problem unique to the Holy War forum, so the enemy you are attempting to create here is not part of the actual issue, Ozzman.

i was playing HW b4 your 1st update where you increased tixx for gold ratio,and both the forum and worlds were in a much better condition than today,
since even the lowest level player thought he had something to do here.

you have all the rights in the world to make the desicion to only rely on a couple dozens ppl to play the game and earn your income at the same time,
but don't say irrelevant or secondary things to back up G@S opinion,most players know what is going on,you do nothing about them and everything about tixxers,that is the main reason for dead forum and worlds and no other.

now you're going to tell me that it's an internet business with profit it's main purpose etc etc and we're going back to the point where i was yelling again for some proper answer from admins and mods,nothing good will come out of it.but please :!: don't choose reasons of much smaller range to tell us,
it would be much more proper to say straightforward:"this is what we want,whether non tixxing players like it or not"

every forum thread will be derailed with tixxing issues,sooner or later,as you have most probably seen from new players that try to come in the forum and post a suggestion or an opinion,as it affects the game in a very big scale
Instead of proposing a penalty, Socrates instead proposes a reward for himself: as benefactor to Athens, he should be given free meals in the Prytaneum, one of the important buildings which housed members of the Council.

Monday, March 5th 2012, 9:10am

Quoted

now you're going to tell me that it's an internet business with profit it's main purpose etc etc

This is exactly what CapeX was talking about. It is almost as if you are telling us what to say - or at least what you want us to say - since it will then validate everything else you have said up until now.

If you already have a fixed image in your mind of GAS as evil, suit-wearing kleptomaniacs, and refuse to listen to what we're actually saying, then that image is never going to change. And we don't wear suits. I wear a shirt with a hole burnt through it after I sat on a candle. And my kleptomania does not exceed the odd lighter from my friends now and then. I guess pyromania is more my thing.

There have actually been some really interesting suggestions and discussions in the past few weeks which don't concern tixxing. As CapeX says, the forum is by definition a place for discussion and exchange of ideas. It is when players get stuck on one idea that they write it ten times in every single thread - regardless of what the original thread topic is - until someone acknowledges them. That's when threads get derailed and finish up as train wrecks.

It's fine if you're the hooligan, but if you're a new player who wants to go into the park for the first time, the presence of the hooligans is pretty intimidating, to such an extent that they won't want to make any kind of comment for fear of being battered to death with a baseball bat.

Of course, we can't force the hooligans to lay down their baseball bats, but it would be nice if they did :thumbup:

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, March 5th 2012, 10:04am

Don't you think it mildly ironic that the topic at hand is "staying on topic", and all you do with the topic is derailing it by talking about "why GAS is evil", Ozz?

Seriously. The game, the combat script, the tixxers, the money, the suits or not suits, the world merging...nothing of that is the reason why people derail threads. Nothing of it. If a topic is derailed again and again for no other reason than someone following an agenda that he/she feels needs to be discussed in every thread of the forum, no matter if it's actually part of the thread or if it deals about which haircut you want to give Poochie, the poodle, then perhaps it is not the fault of anyone but said someone that he/she can't stay on topic for the heck of it.

Now, the fact that some people might not like posting here anymore is for the same reason DragonEater pointed out, above. If you start a thread, and people keep on threadjacking it by telling everyone about their holier-than-tho agenda again and again and again, no matter who you are and what your thread was about, they are going to stop posting. It's a no-brainer. Try discussing anything with someone in the room who derails everything that's said by telling you about a healthy diet. It's not even about him or her being wrong, actually, but that doesn't mean you need to discuss it all the time, everywhere. And it's certainly not the fault of the beef company that nobody wants to listen to healthy diet anymore if said someone is in the room, either.

So, what I'm trying to say is that nobody at GAS "made you derail a thread", Ozz. You just feel you have to, if you do it. It's about responsibility. It's yours. Use it. Don't blame others.

CApeX

jim pruitt

Intermediate

Monday, March 5th 2012, 12:52pm

There you go you go, exactly what I am talking about. If you want to rail against the man, tixers what ever then start a thread about it. :whistling:
Do I like tixers NO, do I tix NO do I want a world merge, Yes, would I love and I mean love a Tixxer free world Yes But I am not gonna jump every thread on here to talk about it and yeah once one gets derailed I usually quit following it. Why? Because by derailing a conversation you comepletely ruin the conversation. to me that is as bad trying to have a real life , face to face conversation and have someone constantly intereupting it. The difference between this and that is here i just quit following the thread. face to facae once or twice politely ask them to move along, one would you just shut up you rude git and them ussually bend something over there head.
W5 --Opoton -TUA
W7--_J_--WBS
W9 -- Paladin --KT
MOD -618

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, March 5th 2012, 1:57pm

to me that is as bad trying to have a real life , face to face conversation and have someone constantly intereupting it. The difference between this and that is here i just quit following the thread. face to facae once or twice politely ask them to move along, one would you just shut up you rude git and them ussually bend something over there head.
I am planning on filming a video that deals with internet behavior placed into a real life setting, one of these days. To point out how awkward people are behaving on the internet.

It will start with people using chat slang snippets like 'lol' in a real conversation, and will also include two people not aware of this project talking, with a third who will be part of the project appearing out of nowhere, literally YELLING at everyone about something that's not part of the discussion. In real life, the guy will end up in jail. Or in drying-out cell. Of course, considering this project, he will keep on yelling about censorship and blaming the cops for not protecting him from the cops.

CApeX

Ozzman

Intermediate

Monday, March 5th 2012, 3:22pm

Quoted
now you're going to tell me that it's an internet business with profit it's main purpose etc etc

This is exactly what CapeX was talking about. It is almost as if you are telling us what to say - or at least what you want us to say - since it will then validate everything else you have said up until now.

I'm not making this up,you have mentioned this lots of times

There have actually been some really interesting suggestions and discussions in the past few weeks which don't concern tixxing. As CapeX says, the forum is by definition a place for discussion and exchange of ideas. It is when players get stuck on one idea that they write it ten times in every single thread - regardless of what the original thread topic is - until someone acknowledges them. That's when threads get derailed and finish up as train wrecks.

That's what is said,new players think of suggestions and post them in the forum,but then suggestion stays meteor because they understand that the only thing this suggestion can do with the current tixxing policy,is help the the few tixxers against the even more low placed normal players 8|

Of course, we can't force the hooligans to lay down their baseball bats, but it would be nice if they did

you can't only force them,you can disarm them once and for all,but you don't want to,it would be easier to believe you if you didn't have a promotion every month

Don't you think it mildly ironic that the topic at hand is "staying on topic", and all you do with the topic is derailing it by talking about "why GAS is evil", Ozz?

oh i'm not derailing,i'm just explaining why most suggestions get "derailed" with tixxing convos,not only by me,but also from newer players,who understand their role in the game is insignificant

Why? Because by derailing a conversation you comepletely ruin the conversation. to me that is as bad trying to have a real life , face to face conversation and have someone constantly intereupting it.

yes,i may have interrupted,but not derailed,plus i don't think i ever told you to shut up

It will start with people using chat slang snippets like 'lol' in a real conversation, and will also include two people not aware of this project talking, with a third who will be part of the project appearing out of nowhere, literally YELLING at everyone about something that's not part of the discussion. In real life, the guy will end up in jail. Or in drying-out cell. Of course, considering this project, he will keep on yelling about censorship and blaming the cops for not protecting him from the cops.

How can the 3rd one BE a part of the project and also appear out of nowhere?
I think you're missing the point,i don't want less ppl talking,i want more both in forum and in worlds,but with their voice and role having some meaning,
not telling us to post in the forum and play the game and then launch promos every month to show that you don't give a damn about 90% of players

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, March 5th 2012, 3:34pm

How can the 3rd one BE a part of the project and also appear out of nowhere?
He appears out of nowhere to those two who are not aware of playing a part.

CApeX

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Monday, March 5th 2012, 8:46pm

anyone seen my black Speedo's with gold "go faster" stripes :?: :?: :?:

fatrobin

Intermediate

Monday, March 5th 2012, 9:35pm

i saw them in a dustbin lorry heading to an incinerator...
Campaigner for Zombie Rights

Not a Professional cow... just consistently lazy

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 10:35am

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: .... not again :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jim pruitt

Intermediate

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 1:51pm

Quoted

yes,i may have interrupted,but not derailed,plus i don't think i ever told you to shut up

I have not told you to either. I understand what you are saying and where you are going but, whenever you change the topic of a thread that is an interuption and when it contiues off on a subject (s) that are not part of the orginal post then it is derailed.
W5 --Opoton -TUA
W7--_J_--WBS
W9 -- Paladin --KT
MOD -618

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 2:01pm

I find it very strange to actually have to explain the difference between "telling someone to shut up" and "asking someone to stay on topic".

CApeX

Ozzman

Intermediate

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 4:30pm

I have not told you to either. I understand what you are saying and where you are going but, whenever you change the topic of a thread that is an interuption and when it contiues off on a subject (s) that are not part of the orginal post then it is derailed.

oh i'm not derailing,i'm just explaining why most suggestions get "derailed" with tixxing convos,not only by me,but also from newer players,who understand their role in the game is insignificant

in any other thread than suggestions i be more than willing to post my view,but falco is not here anymore,phil has left as you will have noticed,so not much other stuff to talk about in this forum than why it has become so stale and suggestions

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 4:33pm

That's self-fullfilling prophecy, Ozz. You claim there is nothing to talk about except complaining, and if there is a topic that could lead to somewhere else, you have no faith it will, so you complain and the topic is over, leaving only complaining and making you right. Perhaps try the different direction: Don't complain and put some thoughts into the conversation at hand. It might go elsewhere without anyone compaining about the same old things.

CApeX

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 6:51pm

I wandered through expecting to see a completely different game, tixers and cynics abound, skipping hand in hand through a green battle field full of gamboling lambs into a golden and russet
sunset.

Instead I find the blackened cesspit with a grey murky atmosphere and the occasional shadowy fleeting hit and run, warring figures that I know, love and left many moons ago.

Good to see that there are some constants left in this ever evolving world.

Carry on staying on topic. :P

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 7:11pm

I wandered through expecting to see a completely different game, tixers and cynics abound, skipping hand in hand through a green battle field full of gamboling lambs into a golden and russet
sunset.

Instead I find the blackened cesspit with a grey murky atmosphere and the occasional shadowy fleeting hit and run, warring figures that I know, love and left many moons ago.

Good to see that there are some constants left in this ever evolving world.

Carry on staying on topic. :P

8o good to see ya M8 hope all is well :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: I SMILE AT YOU SO YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT I'M UP TOO :thumbsup:

BENCH401 W1
BENCH401 W7
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Nagap

Beginner

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 9:47pm

:pinch: I only get my day every 4years :thumbdown:

you need to speak to your wifey about that Bench :D :P

sorry not in keep with the thread but could not help myself. :whistling:

erialc

Intermediate

Thursday, March 22nd 2012, 9:29pm

I just noticed you spelled "What" wrong.....
W2 contrarian (non-premium) ~ W3 contra (non-premium)~ W4 contra aka erialc (non-premium) ~ W5 Yasmine - Sold ~ W6 contrarian (OM) Dragon Warriors ~ W8 Holy PIA (non-premium) (OM) Because We Can

Friday, March 23rd 2012, 9:32am

Waht exactly might you be hoping to achieve with that comment, erialc?

It is also a matter of debate as to the spelling of 'spelled' vs. 'spelt'

tomaytoe/tomato, potaytoe/potato

meh

stick to topic.

topic: sticking to topic.

erialc

Intermediate

Friday, March 23rd 2012, 8:21pm

Jeez relax it was a joke...with all the death and tragedy in the world I think we all need to lighten up!

Friday, April 6th 2012, 10:53pm

Haven't looked in here in ages, and find pretty much that nothing ever changes. :whistling:

SoGgy

Trainee

Monday, April 9th 2012, 10:50pm

???

I'm sorry, what were we talking about??? :D

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Tuesday, April 10th 2012, 10:00am

Bananafish.

Discuss!

CApeX