You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

• "Traffic Gnome" started this thread

Friday, August 17th 2012, 8:19am

Shortening of Players names

Arthur the Temp...
Godfrey de Boui...
Hugo de Willoug...

etc etc... We've all seen this :cursing:

It's bad enough in the SB but also seen in Hero Battle Reports and the Highscores, the shortening of Players names is unnecessary and, in my opinion, disrespectful to the player. A players name is important in games such as HW (well it is more to some than others) as it is the players identity. Whilst the dev's may say such shortening is required, this is an easy out for them... a players full name should be displayed and shown the due respect and courtesy you would expect in real life. If there is an issue with the number of character spaces required for the SB, Battle Reprts etc then change the font size or the page layout or something.... don't shorten players names..... we're the folks that pay your wages ;)

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Friday, August 17th 2012, 8:32am

Just another quick thought..... if there is a "real " issue with space then I would rather the flag was dropped than letters in a players name

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Friday, August 17th 2012, 10:13am

Do you really believe the devs did the change to annoy the players? It certainly reads as if you do.

Just wondering. Because they didn't. It really is a space issue. Something that you don't have in reality, no matter if your name is Ted or Casanova-Frankenstein. (If, however, it is necessary to call the latter "Cas", as in, "CAS! BRICK FROM ABOVE WATCH OUT!", I am certain nobody would perceive any lack of respect. It was just a necessary shortening of the name. And it's not very different with the SB.)

CApeX

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Friday, August 17th 2012, 11:34am

Dear Captain Ape...

oooops sorry, I could be bothered to change the font size or page setup and I ran out of space :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Of course I don't think the devs did it deliberately... what I'm saying is not much thought has been given to the issue. The quick and easy answer is shorten their names :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Your example is extreme. Yes in the SB players shorten each others names, I for example often get called TG... that is fine.... but what is not fine is my name appearing on Highscore or Battle Reports as Traffic Gn... Also, the shortening of names imposed by HW does not conform with the colloquial shortening of christian names. Yes in informal (or dangerous) situations Casanova-Frankenstein may become 'Cas'... but it certainly doesn't become Casanova-Fran...

Players have been given a set number of characters, when registering to play. This should be respected and HW should make every effort to display the name a player has chosen. Other avenues could be explored... they may be difficult but the easy option isn't necessarily the best :| :|

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Friday, August 17th 2012, 2:25pm

I understand that it is an annoyance to some people that their name is cut off. I understand it well enough that I have talked about this internally on those players' behalf, already. And will continue to do so.

All I am asking for in return is the will to accept that the situation is like it is at present, that it had to be done because of technical problems that would have been happened, otherwise, which would have been far more bothersome than the cut off name, and that you may stop to sound as if you accuse, demand and threaten. (Read it as "stop sounding like it". Maybe you don't even have that intention, and I am willing to believe that. It's just that you sound like it.) That is not helpful, neither for you nor me nor anyone.

CApeX

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Friday, August 17th 2012, 10:22pm

accuse, demand and threaten

:?: :?: :?: :?:

just get rid of the stupid flag :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Saturday, August 18th 2012, 12:21am

I agree. With player names such as

SULAYMAN THE MAGNIFICENT
THE MILLION DOLLAR MERC
WHY DO I KEEP PLAYING THIS GAME

I am offended greatly when my name is shortened lol

:thumbsup:

fatrobin

Intermediate

Saturday, August 18th 2012, 1:14am

OLdRobin The Fa... come on you cut 1 letter to add "..." thats my job...
Campaigner for Zombie Rights

Not a Professional cow... just consistently lazy

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Saturday, August 18th 2012, 8:06pm

*hands fatrobin a spoon*

It's made from specially turned zombie antler... 8| 8| 8|

Ozzman

Intermediate

• "Ozzman" has been banned

Saturday, August 18th 2012, 8:48pm

just get rid of the stupid flag :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Can i have my own flag :wacko:
Instead of proposing a penalty, Socrates instead proposes a reward for himself: as benefactor to Athens, he should be given free meals in the Prytaneum, one of the important buildings which housed members of the Council.

And that's why tixxers should pay my premium.

itsjustme

Professional

Saturday, August 18th 2012, 10:34pm

Here ya go Ozz :thumbup:

Flag of Ozz
Just here to spread hate and discontent

OK, moving on now...

Caradoc

Trainee

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 12:12am

OLdRobin The Fa... come on you cut 1 letter to add "..."
This cracks me up 8o It cuts off 1 letter to add 3 periods.

if your name is Ted or Casanova-Frankenstein.
A solution I see from this is to allow players to select a shortened version of their name to appear only in the SB. It would be similar to an order tag. In the above example, Casanova-Frankenstein, could select which 15 characters would be displayed in the SB. It would also be possible to select less than 15, and skip characters.

So, Casanova-Frankenstein, could be know as something such as, Casanova, Casa, C-Frank, CF, CsanvaFrnkstn, or some other abbreviation of their choosing. However, this would only apply to the SB. The Hall of Fame, High Scores, Battle/Attack Reports and everything else should display the full name. It wasn't a problem for a long time. 8)
w2=Caradoc [Pagan] w5=Lord Kerak [TUA] w8=Little Sin [SOULS] w9=Sinbad [Arabs] w10=Caradoc [CLUB] w11=Nevyn [OTIS] w12=Sinbad [FAT] INT1=Caradoc [HPC]

HW:?: 2 words.... X P

fatrobin

Intermediate

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 1:45am

yes i have noticed that GAS wants my name longer... if at all :P *stirs up everything*

Ozzman

Intermediate

Sunday, August 19th 2012, 7:27am

Here ya go Ozz :thumbup:

*stirs up everything*

BLAME CANADA
Instead of proposing a penalty, Socrates instead proposes a reward for himself: as benefactor to Athens, he should be given free meals in the Prytaneum, one of the important buildings which housed members of the Council.

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Monday, August 20th 2012, 12:07pm

So, Casanova-Frankenstein, could be know as something such as, Casanova, Casa, C-Frank, CF, CsanvaFrnkstn, or some other abbreviation of their choosing.

I assume that players who feel offended by their name shortened to "Casanova-Fran..." won't be satisfied with being called "CsanvaFrnkstn", either. Somehow, I believe there would always be a slight uproar, no matter how we twist it.

CApeX

itsjustme

Professional

Monday, August 20th 2012, 1:41pm

So, Casanova-Frankenstein, could be know as something such as, Casanova, Casa, C-Frank, CF, CsanvaFrnkstn, or some other abbreviation of their choosing.

I assume that players who feel offended by their name shortened to "Casanova-Fran..." won't be satisfied with being called "CsanvaFrnkstn", either. Somehow, I believe there would always be a slight uproar, no matter how we twist it.

CApeX

Yep so Game providers decided for everyone, like everything else we moan and groan about. This seems rather trivial. If they won't fix some of the other things that we disagree with that actually affects game play, why bother with this...

Close this thread and start moaning about Battle Healing, Work Pay vs Cost of Equipment, being able to buy Experience, lack of purpose to order battles, game "end game" is pretty much gone (Holy Battle is now a joke with faith winners winning nothing-we've gone through the holy land a couple times now and who even remembers the overall results of the first round???) etc etc etc, i'm sure you can find something else but I"m done...

For now at least ;)

OK, moving on now...

Ozzman

Intermediate

Monday, August 20th 2012, 1:51pm

Close this thread and start moaning about Battle Healing, Work Pay vs Cost of Equipment, being able to buy Experience, lack of purpose to order battles, game "end game" is pretty much gone

aaawwwwww :(

but i think jerr is right,if shortened names helps the efficiency of the game,so be it.plus,i'm sure it will just become a habit to choose a shorter name that can express you just the same.

you know what doesnt express me?that this game has no sign of competition,other than the wallet one
It reminds me of a southpark episode where Stan goes to the bank for a deposit,the teller does a couple of calculations and suddenly the money's gone.

kind of sucks don't you think

Occupation: What do I do for a living? well, there are several things, but mainly: breathing and eating :D

Monday, August 20th 2012, 3:01pm

Well, don't assume. You could, like Caradoc said, at least ask the players first on how they would like their name to be shortened. If you think it would be difficult to do so, don't shortened our name in the first place. It is ridicilous (or anyway you spell it :rolleyes: ) to replace one letter with three dots.
Please be patient God is not finish with me yet :D

fatrobin

Intermediate

Monday, August 20th 2012, 7:33pm

meh... i still like how they don't think my name is long enough... by making it 2 characters bigger :S

itsjustme

Professional

Monday, August 20th 2012, 8:17pm

meh... i still like how they don't think my name is long enough... by making it 2 characters bigger :S

:thumbsup:
:thumbup:

OK, moving on now...

Caradoc

Trainee

Monday, August 20th 2012, 8:23pm

That's why I mentioned this part:
allow players to select a shortened version of their name
I don't think players should have a nickname completely unrelated to their full name, so limiting the SB name to 15 characters from their full player name and those characters must remain in order (though you can skip characters). That way, you end up with a name akin to their actual player name, but shortened to something the SB can handle. (Ie, T Gnome, or Gnome, as opposed to Traffic Gn...)
w2=Caradoc [Pagan] w5=Lord Kerak [TUA] w8=Little Sin [SOULS] w9=Sinbad [Arabs] w10=Caradoc [CLUB] w11=Nevyn [OTIS] w12=Sinbad [FAT] INT1=Caradoc [HPC]

HW:?: 2 words.... X P

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 9:48am

To make that work, we would either have to reach 100% of the community and actually have them participate in the choosing so it can be implemented, accordingly - which will never happen -, or the developers would have to include something that actually asks everyone before they write in the SB the first time and remembers the choice. (Which would not only steal precious performance that could better be used elsewhere, but would also keep the developers busy with programming something suitable, while their talents should very well used elsewhere.)

As I said, we have been talking about this internally, and I have made sure to point out that the way it was decided is not for everyone. They know, and I am certain they are going to come up with a better solution, in the future. Letting players participate in this, too, is a noble goal, Caradoc. But not everyone is as communicative and willing to cooperate as the fair people of this message board are. For player participation to work on a larger scale, they would have to be, though.

CApeX

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 10:43am

:sleeping: :whistling: :sleeping: :whistling: :sleeping: :whistling: :sleeping: :whistling: :sleeping: :whistling:

As if yall are crying about this when there,s bigger problems ahead for you :pinch:

Good luck with getting your butts handed to you by every foriegn player once the merger is complete. 8o

Heaven wont have me and Hell,s afraid i,ll take over

itsjustme

Professional

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 11:45am

To make that work, we would either have to reach 100% of the community and actually have them participate in the choosing so it can be implemented, accordingly - which will never happen -, or the developers would have to include something that actually asks everyone before they write in the SB the first time and remembers the choice. (Which would not only steal precious performance that could better be used elsewhere, but would also keep the developers busy with programming something suitable, while their talents should very well used elsewhere.)

As I said, we have been talking about this internally, and I have made sure to point out that the way it was decided is not for everyone. They know, and I am certain they are going to come up with a better solution, in the future. Letting players participate in this, too, is a noble goal, Caradoc. But not everyone is as communicative and willing to cooperate as the fair people of this message board are. For player participation to work on a larger scale, they would have to be, though.

CApeX

Agree, getting 100% agreement on something is near impossible, even getting a majority is hard enough.
It is just funny that with the "..." some displayed names are now longer than their actual names by 1-2 characters. There's obviously some "if" or perhaps "when" statement in the code to add the "..." (If name > 15 (Left15,"...") ) or some such mechanism for adding the "..." And it seems that 18 characters are acceptable since 15 letters plus the ... works so at least in my mind the solution is simple. If name is > 18 characters leave it alone, if more, make it 15 characters and add the "...".
Obviously little thought went into the programing for this to allow world/faith/language of the player to be displayed in the SB (which I'm still not sure I care about*) I say that because if you want to get to max of 18 characters for displayed names, why code it to cut off at 15???

And again, I say I really don't care one way or other about this just spouting off my opinion, not being critical or demanding or demeaning to the developers, I'm sure they are under immense pressure and timelines and demands of the owners of which they don't have a clue what's next if it's like any other corporate workplace.
*When I see someone in the SB, I don't care what faith they are, what religion, or what world. I see their name, if I want to know more about them I click it and look at their profile

OK, moving on now...

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Tuesday, August 21st 2012, 12:01pm

A critical and well versed opinion is fairly welcome, in any case.

Edit:

Ozzman, I would prefer it if you would take the above statement of mine to heart and either post something that will actually do anything for this thread, or nothing at all.

Your last post directly under this one has been righteously fed to the Spamonster.

CApeX

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 12:38am

18... 15 ?( ?( ?( 18... 15 ?( ?( ?(

why not limit the number of characters when people first register to play to 15-18 characters 8| 8| .... for those current players with >15 characters you could offer them the opportunity of a free name change (with 15-18 character limit of course)

Traffic Gnome

Intermediate

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 12:48am

Close this thread and start moaning about Battle Healing, Work Pay vs Cost of Equipment, being able to buy Experience, lack of purpose to order battles, game "end game" is pretty much gone (Holy Battle is now a joke with faith winners winning nothing-we've gone through the holy land a couple times now and who even remembers the overall results of the first round???) etc etc etc, i'm sure you can find something else but I"m done...

.... all GaS need to do is unbend a paper clip and find that funny little button hidden underneath that says "Restore Factory Settings" :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

fatrobin

Intermediate

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 12:56am

i remember when my names were alot longer... and they did not break things... much...

Occupation: What do I do for a living? well, there are several things, but mainly: breathing and eating :D

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 6:40am

why not limit the number of characters when people first register to play to 15-18 characters .... for those current players with >15 characters you could offer them the opportunity of a free name change (with 15-18 character limit of course)
That's what I think too Captain Ape...

:D

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 9:08am

Hi, everybody!

Ozz, since your second post was the same as the first and it does not contribute to the thread, it was also disabled.

I realise many of you are somewhat disgruntled by the shortening of names in the SB, BUT would you rather have the merge now, or wait another month until they can sort out the name length issue and apparently makeeveryone happy? I know what I would choose. And anyway, the latter seems to be impossible.

Besides, it won't necessarily always be like this with the names. As CapeX said above, all you have to do is accept the way things stand for the time being. Causing a stink now ain't gonna achieve anything. When then merge is done, then we'll see about widening the SB or extending the amount of letters ;)

And if any of you are feeling awfully self-conscious about you're dismembered names, then please send a message to Support to perhaps discuss a reasonable alternative. But honestly, this should not be an issue, since the SB, although a large part of the game, still only constitutes about 10% of it. That's just my opinion, though, and we all know what that counts for...(squat 8o )

Cheers!
Gen.D

Ozzman

Intermediate

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 9:09am

well i said what you did just now,so disable your post too

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 9:16am

I know Ozz, and I'm sorry. I prefer my post, though. It's much less...flammable 8o

But at least we're in agreement :thumbsup:

Ozzman

Intermediate

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 9:30am

Your last post directly under this one has been righteously fed to the Spamonster.

I know Ozz, and I'm sorry. I prefer my post, though. It's much less...flammable 8o

But at least we're in agreement :thumbsup:

So it was intentionally and not righteously
plus i didn't know that a post has to deliberately contribute to a thread in order not to be spam,i may just want to post something funny in a serious thread,what's wrong with that.

So,my suggestion is to leave the names shortened(for now) and focus on demanding better gameplay.1 guy killing every1 in a battle cause he has spent more money than every1 else,it's not the epitome of sportsmanship eh

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 10:18am

Ozzman, stop arguing for arguing's sake. Your post was sacrificed because all you did there was linking to a famous song of Metallica and stating that you don't care for all of this and that you once again claim to know what the people of GameArt Studio are thinking. Which is something you don't.

Not only can that be considered rude, it is also not part of this thread. It is probably very important for you to inform everyone that you don't care, but believe it or not, not everyone shares your view point. At least, you could have the dignity to explain your thoughts in a polite way instead of just flaming and letting the guys from Metallica handle it for you. That said, this whole arguing with support members and/or moderators for no other reason than to argue is slowly boring me. Consider this a last polite nudge in a more open-minded way of communication, please.

Now back to topic, please. Otherwise the thread has run it's course as well. And we have a threademon in the basement which is hungry, too.

CApeX

itsjustme

Professional

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 11:38am

From 2 days ago...
Close it, lock it, throw away the key.

Another one will be started soon enough anyway :rolleyes:

OK, moving on now...

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 4:34pm

Some of the worst clutter on threads is when mods delete post and then respond to the deleted post. I'm sure most forum mods are decent people, but yall often come across as petty.

As to name size I prefer the old way. After the merge I expect Gas will fix it; until then no worries.

Wednesday, August 22nd 2012, 7:27pm

Here's my 2 cents worth on it...Let's get the mergers done and then go back and review the whole name thing...personally, it doesn't effect me, and there are a lot of players that I know that would rather get things more active that worry about their names at this point...

Again, only MY opinion, which is different from some other opinions, which proves the point, getting 100% consensus will be impossible.

Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 6:42am

Does anyone actually care?

No wonder GAS never reads this junk :thumbup:

Now I want a longer name :D

Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 7:13am

Now back to topic, please. Otherwise the thread has run it's course as well. And we have a threademon in the basement which is hungry, too.
What is the topic again? Oh yeah... it's the short name. As you can see, my name is long (because you let us make such a long name X( ), so yes it effects me personally. So here is my suggestion :
1. Give my name back
2. Give me a free tixx to change my name
3. You guys ask me first on how I'd like my name to be shortened.

Of course ya don't have to do all 3, just one. So can you please tell yer boss Captain Ape...? ;)

Captain ApeX

GameArt Support DE

Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 9:08am

No wonder GAS never reads this junk :thumbup:

Rumors claim they do.

So can you please tell yer boss

I already did.

CApeX

Rate this thread