You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 3:39pm

Idea and shameless self promotion

Hey, all. First off, my shameless self promotion and reward request. I believe you will find in the archives that the international world was my idea ... GAS, if it's working out, maybe some kind of reward (gold, premium, etc) would be in order for my EN W4 character?

And now, back to the rest of my idea. The world merge is great, but I still think that we are going to be limited in our communication with each other, thus alienating the languages still. The implementation (or looking into the use of) Ortsbo.com as a real-time translator would be a significant add to the user experience. I'd love to be able to speak with some of the German, Italian, and Spanish players -- to make some friendships that transcend the game experience -- and I think that others would as well. This feature would really set HolyWar apart, and make it easy to recommend to other game players ... think of it as a "hey, you've gotta try THIS!" feature. I think that this would lead to more people playing the game, and result in further premium members and, as such, more revenue for GAS.

My other well-received idea of being able to set am ambush for certain players (you know, the people who hit you twice a day) should also potentially be considered further. As a recap, a player would have to pay a set amount (different depending on the level of the player they intend to ambush) to set the trap. If that specific player is the next player to attack, their defenses would be diminished significantly, and the ambushing player would receive an attack bonus.

Think about it!

And think about rewarding ol' Blue.

Thanks,
Blue

Hardrada

Trainee

Thursday, August 23rd 2012, 4:23pm

Ambush..........Ambush.................. wonders who blue is talking about? ;)

Friday, August 24th 2012, 2:43pm

Hello,

I'm naturally inclined to believe you that the international world was your idea, Angry Blue. If you can prove it, then we'll see about some kind of acknowledgement, although it might just be a big old cybear-hug from me ;)

I checked out ortsbo, looks cool. However, being a (hardly) professional translator myself, I am firm in the belief that any computer-generated translator will never be able to do my job as well as I do, due to the unique irregularity and sheer human-ness and incompatibility of language itself. Languages are too tied up with the history and culture of their place of origin to be translated word-for-word, which computers are not yet capable of fathoming, let alone all the abbreviations and text-speak players use.

For example, how would a computer translate: "Lol, lmao! N1 bud!" into Spanish?

Answer: "Lol, lmao! N1 bud!"

See, it doesn't even bother.

Saying that, we don't mind people using Google or any other translator to chat in the Shoutbox of another language. You get the gist, and it's sociable. Striking a deal with ortsbo and somehow integrating it into our system sounds like a lot of effort for something which players can just do themselves with relative ease. But hats off for such an open-minded suggestion :thumbup:

I also like the ambush idea, it was suggested a long time ago, but I think GAS have bigger fish to fry for the time being.

Cheerz!
Gen.D

Rate this thread