You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Holy-War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ghettomedic

Beginner

• "ghettomedic" started this thread

Tuesday, November 18th 2008, 5:28am

8th roman legion stats goal

I have set a goal to raise my stats and bring my gold to 100 G I am currently 44 G from my goal

the 8th roman Legion(christan Order ) a secioperation legionwill comming into its being early december
if you wish tojointh 8th roman Legion pm me with your stats and levels looking for ranking players to
tofill ranks of Centurian (captains) Duxes (Generals) for new player or low levelplayer the position of
milli or sergeant of the guard are open

aide de camp
ghetomedic

Tuesday, November 18th 2008, 6:34pm

Weren't the Romans pagan?...at least until Constantine took over and things went downhill fast.

ghettomedic

Beginner

• "ghettomedic" started this thread

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 7:09am

legion

yes they were for the most part but this legion will be basically what left of the crumbling empire under Constantine made upof probably franks northern gemanic inductees looking to defend the holy land from saraceans and pagans also the first crusades were also involving the roman church sending troops totake onGreekorthodox and defend trade routes ect

The Military Oath

To be placed on the rolls of the legion, a recruit had to swear the military oath.

The oath, the sacramentum, naturally changed in time as the Roman state and the empire evolved.

In republican times, one man would recite the oath out loud (praeiuratio), thereafter each oteh man in turn would say the words, 'idem in me' ('the same in my case').

It may well have been that new recruits who joined the army all had to
speak the full oath, if numbers allowed this. But the renewal of the
oath, will have been conducted in the shorter fashion described above.

In early republican times, the historian Dionysius tells us, the oath sounded something like this;

'to follow the consuls to whatever wars they may be called, and neither desert the colours nor do anything else contrary to law.'

The renewal of the oath was always conducted on New Year's Day, up
until either the reign of Vespasian or Domitian when it was moved to 3
January.

A Christian version of the oath is described by the historian Vegetius,

'They
swear by God, by Christ and by the Holy Spirit; and by the majesty of
the emperor, which, next to God, should be loved and worshipped by the
human race... The soldiers swear to perform with enthusiasm whatever
the emperor commands, never to desert, and not to shrink from death on
behalf of the Roman state.
'

Underground

Intermediate

Thursday, November 20th 2008, 9:32pm

There is only one REAL ROME and that is in W3. Any others are wannabe orders emulating my greatness

[ROME] Underground - Emperor of ROME lvl 66